Some important dates in the life of First Baptist Church:

  • Jesse Mercer served as the first pastor from 1828 until his death in 1841.
  • In 1853 the church was completely renovated including the addition of a baptismal pool.
  • Henry A. Tupper served as pastor from 1853-1872 and then moved to Richmond, Virginia to serve as the first recording secretary for the Foreign Mission Board.
  • In 1884 the second church building was constructed including the current sanctuary.
  • In 1895 the church was lighted with electricity and in 1909 the pipe organ was installed.
  • Homer L. Grice served from 1915 until 1924 and introduced Vacation Bible School at First Baptist. Dr. Grice moved from Washington to serve as the first VBS Director for the Sunday School Board.
  • In 1919 extensive additions were made to the church including the beautiful memorial windows and a central heating plant.
  • In 1956 a Sunday School annex was built on the east end of the main building.
  • In 1980 the church purchased “The Ark” for use as a youth activities center.
  • In 1983 the church launched its largest building program to date including a library, rest rooms, office suite and fellowship hall.
  • Troupe Harris Jr. retired in 1996 after serving 44 years in the music ministry of First Baptist .
  • In 1997 Albert W. Huyck Jr. became pastor Emeritus after serving for 23 years – the longest pastorate in the history of the church.
  • The Nehemiah project was completed in 2001 under the leadership of Dr. John Childers at a cost of $1.6 million
  • As of 2015, thirty three pastors have served the church.



One of the unique highlights of FBC history is the role of Dr. Homer L. Grice in the formation of Vacation Bible School. Here is a video tribute from our 2012 Homecoming Celebration featuring actual footage from the 1924 Vacation Bible School held in Washington, Georgia along with special commentary by Mrs. Mabel Johnson who attended VBS under the leadership of Dr. Grice.